Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Little Santa Story

The school I work at does a Sub for Santa each year for some families that live within our boundaries. Sometimes I know the students and sometimes I don't. I've been heavily involved with this project for just about 10 years now. Some years we have families that are so grateful. Other years we have families calling in October to see how soon we can help them out and while we're at it can we bring an electric guitar?
I used to be able to take some of my students with me to help deliver presents. They could really see the fruits of their labors. That had to stop abruptly when I delivered to a mom who was so high I'm not really sure she knew I was there. So now pretty much its me and the SBO advisor who get to see what happens after Penny Wars is over. Penny Wars is how we raise money for our project.
This year we had a girl who lives with her dad. Its just the two of them. He works round the clock pretty much. She takes care of shopping, cleaning, meals, laundry, being a kid, being a student.... :) We called to ask dad if we could help out. His response was "I haven't had a *&%^ Christmas in 10 years! If you want to help out, you talk to my daughter." Well- alrighty then! We did.
In talking with her, she found out some of the things we had done in the past. Everything from groceries and underwear to microwaves and vacuums. When we asked what she would like, she asked if we could get her dad a bed. Apparently he sleeps on the couch or the floor, as he doesn't have anywhere else to sleep. I made a couple phone calls to some business partners we have and a local furniture company agreed to donate a queen size mattress set. :) And not only a queen size set- a $1300 set. Wow.
On the day of delivery, we called dad and he let us go over. He noticed the bed but didn't say much. It wasn't until the SBO advisor told him that was what his daughter asked for him to receive that he started to tear up and cry. :) Bless his heart.
I don't post this so it can go everywhere- just so you can have a little Christmas warmth that I don't get to share due to privacy issues. Merry Christmas!

No comments: