Sunday, September 20, 2009

My love affair with peaches

When I started working fruit last summer, I had no idea I'd have a new love interest...peaches. In the beginning weeks of September, I lose all interest in other fruits and vegetables and focus solely on peaches. Suncrest, summer sunsets, Rosa, Pink Ladies, JH Hales, Angeles...I adore them. Everyone waits for Elbertas- they're nice but its like eating at the snack bar of a hospital when you have a gift card to the Melting Pot. So my dear sister told me how to freeze some so I can eat fresh peaches all winter long. I didn't make it with suncrests- I ate them too fast! So I bought 1/2 a case this week of Angeles and put some up tonight. Here's how it works.
First- buy your peaches from Tagges or some other decent local farmer like Burgess, where my sister buys her's.
Then soak them in some hot tap water to help them peel easier.
Peel and pit them. Place them in 100% orange juice for about 3-5 minutes. I just left them in there while I peeled the rest of the case.
Place them on a cookie sheet- either in halves or slices, whatever you prefer. Place them in your freezer for a bit to flash freeze them. I left mine in there for 90 minutes.
Remove them from the cookie sheet and place them into freezer safe ziplocks! Done!

3 comments:

The Gooch Family said...

Perfect! You did marvelous! They look so good!

Norway Folks said...

Love the story - just peachy!

Allison said...

This looks delicious!!! I'm totally going to try it! Fresh peaches all year round... mmmm